HOW TO TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
Teaching Children how to follow instructions may seem difficult at times but it can be extremely simple.
The way instructions are given are just as important as the instructions itself, so to help your children to be more compliant, here are some helpful tips to follow:
- Ask for their attention. Ensure they are highly focused on you before you pass the information.
- Minimize distractions. Reduce or take away anything that might cause distractions. This might include turning off the TV and putting away video games and toys.
- Speak quietly. Don’t be tempted to yell. Giving instructions in a calm, soft tone will help the child to listen and also follow willingly.
- Give instructions one at a time. Each child has his or her own learning pace so be sure to move at the pace of the child.
- Break directions and instructions down into steps and if you can’t, try to do things together in such a way that is understandable.
- Be more elaborate in what you say. Better results may be achievable by saying “please put your laundry away, pick up your toys from the bed and make your bed” instead of just ‘Arrange your room’.